Prepare Backpacking Food Ahead
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Hiking Food and other Hiking topics.
How can I prepare backpacking food ahead to save time when I backpack?
One way to create quick, tasty backpacking food is to prepare many of the ingredients at home before you leave for your trip. That way, you won't have to spend a lot of time prepping food in camp, and you won't have to carry as many prepping utensils, either. Here are some quick backpacking food ideas for prepping items at home before you head for the hills.
- Place all the dry ingredients (like spices) you need for a recipe in one plastic bag, and then you can just pop them all into the mixture without measuring, and add liquid.
- Put just enough dried pasta, rice, noodles, cereal, trail mix, or other ingredients for one meal in plastic bags and label them, so you know you have all the ingredients you need for each meal.
- Carry small containers of dehydrated onions and garlic to spice up your meals. A few dried herbs are good, too.
- Remove the packaging from everything you're taking, repackage it in plastic bags, and label with cooking directions, if necessary. Removing the bulk lets you carry more food.
- Make your own trail mix by adding your favorite fruits, nuts, seeds, and sweets. Package in individual plastic bags that your group can carry with them during the day. If they need a quick snack, they'll have one right in their pocket!
Preparing food ahead of time takes the guesswork out of camp cooking, and it will make backpacking food a lot more fun for the entire group!